“Good news! Your Upwork profile has been approved!
Even better news! You just got hired to do part time work with flexible hours and fixed rate.”
Are you on cloud nine now?
“Wait! Do I need to tell my client that I have a day job? Or should I keep it a secret?
“How do you find the time to work additional jobs when you already have so much on your plate?”
“How can I stay energized and be more focused on my side gig when I’m also working full time?”
These questions are probably troubling you right now if you are still transitioning from a corporate work setting to full time online freelancing.
Don’t worry. These are valid concerns and we’re here to help.
1. First of all, you need to sit down and plan ahead. Life is not all about work. Make sure that you are giving yourself enough time to spend on other important things that you can’t afford to neglect.
– How much time do you need to accomplish your tasks?
– Do you have enough time for rest and recreation?
– What events and occasions in the next few weeks and months do you need to attend that are non-negotiable? How will this affect your work schedule?
2. Legally and ethically, you should try to keep your day job and your freelancing work as separate as possible. Avoid multitasking. You might think that this is counterproductive but if you’ll give it a try, you’ll realize that not only is it the right thing to do. It also keeps you more focused and energized.
3. Write your goals and hold yourself accountable.
What is your target side income?
– How much time and effort are you willing to commit to make this happen?
– What are you willing to give up in order to achieve your goals?
– Do you have a friend or support system that can help you stay focused and hold you responsible in case you miss your targets?
These are just some of the things you need to consider when you are trying to juggle freelancing and your day job. I’m sure there’s still so much we can talk about.
Why don’t you come join our upcoming FLIP Chat & Chill session this Monday so we can discuss this topic more extensively? It’s happening same time (5PM), same social media channel (FLIP).
You can invite your friends to join us, too!
See you there!