What’s more scary than Judith, Bill, and Juna?
Okay, okay… I know you might think the joke is “waley.”
But I hope that when it comes to your ipon or savings, you’re “havey.”
So, pano nga ba maiwasan si Nana? What can you do to have more “ipon?”
There are two basic things that you can do to increase your savings:
1. Earn more.
2. Spend less.
It may sound too simplistic, but if you think long and hard about it, it makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately, for a lot of Pinoys, “simple” is not always as easy as it sounds.
We know many factors that affect one’s ability to achieve their financial goals such as mindset, beliefs, environment, etc. If you’ve done your homework and tried your best, but you feel like you’re still not saving enough despite having a “stable job,” and budgeting your hard-earned money, maybe it’s time you consider online freelancing.
As mentioned above, freelancing can help you earn more and spend less.
1. You can earn more as a freelancer. As long as you have skills to offer and you know how to market your services, you can earn double, triple, or even higher than what you are currently earning as an employee.
2. You spend less on transportation, clothing, and food because you can work at home, wear anything, and eat anything. Aside from avoiding pollution and accidents, you have more time for rest, recreation and exercise. This equates to less stress and better health, so you spend less on hospital bills and other medical expenses.
Do you see where this is going? Do you see the hope that somehow, freelancing can help you end your financial struggles? Could it be that freelancing is the answer to your prayers?
We asked Marco, one of our VA Bootcamp graduates, “What’s the best thing about being a freelancer?”
His response was, “The freedom! Flexible work schedule. No TRAFFIC! Mas matipid-iwas gastos, iwas temptation! No office politics and office gossip, I’m my own boss! Mas nakakaipon ako ngayon.”
If you want to learn more about his story, watch the replay here.
- God’s perfect timing lahat. Kasi noon din nung nagsa-sampung isip ako na, ‘Aalis ba ako o iki-keep ko ba ‘yung corpo?’ Sabi ko hindi naman ibibigay ‘yan siguro rin sa akin ito ni God kung wala siyang plano. Na ‘yun nga na nasimulan ko na. Nasa sa akin na kung ano ang gagawin ko para dito. At naging smooth lang ‘yung lahat.
- Huwag nating i-kumpara yung success natin sa iba.
- Kung hindi mo alam, pwede mong i-Google.
- Mag-start ka talaga dun sa ‘emotional WHYs’ mo, kasi kung matindi talaga na na-establish yung ‘personal why’ mo, kung bakit gusto mong i-pursue yung freelancing, umalis ng corporate, magagawa mo e. Kung nafu-frustrate ka, nawawalan ka ng gana o inspirasyon, balikan mo lang siya.
- Kung pagod ka, pahinga ka lang. Huwag kang magku-quit.
- Kung meron kang maling nagawa or sa tingin mo, bakit wala ka pa ring clients, balikan mo lang yung modules.
- Meron tayong support group lagi. Very approachable naman sila.
- Don’t try to do it all on your own.
- Humanap ka ng pwedeng tumulong sa’yo.
Marco Gaudiel dela Cruz is a loving husband to his “Baket” and father to an only child. He started as an Audit Inspector in a utility Government-Owned and Controlled Corporation (GOCC), operating 24/7. He was then promoted to a Supervisory post and stayed with the same agency for nine years.
Struggling and tiring just to get to work due to the worsening traffic, a huge portion of his budget was also exhausted to transportation expenses. His relationship with his family then suffered, caused by being stressed out at work.
When he started in the VA Bootcamp, it was not an easy trail for him as he was also working regularly, while studying and learning about freelancing. It took him four months to get to his first client. Having a good grasp at the perks of working even only as a part-time freelancer, he then decided to go full-time.
Now, he has more time talking to his wife, running for household errands, and more time playing with his kid.
Journey to Freelancing
- An Engineer by profession, Marco worked as a Supervisor in a utility Government-Owned and Controlled Corporation (GOCC). But holding a supervisory post has its toll on him, as his responsibilities extend even on his day offs and “supposed leave.” He’s blood pressure rising as stress took over.
- Getting to and from work was also arduous, having to get up as early as 4:30 am, strenuous commuting with the worsening traffic situation, and the amount of money spent on it.
- Browsing through his Facebook feeds, he got curious about his friend Jacer’s “chill and relax” posts, who was a VA Bootcamp student at that time. And that’s where it all started.
- In February 2019, he enrolled in the VA Bootcamp Complete Course. He juggled working on his regular daytime job and studying/watching, taking quizzes, and getting badges.
- But no journey is sweet if not for some rejections and failures along the way. Four months of finishing the course, applying and submitting proposals, changing and experimenting on his profile and cover letters. Trying not to lose faith in himself, Marco watched Jassuccess videos and sent private messages to coaches for guidance. He did not allow frustrations to take over him, as his “emotional whys” are deeply rooted and gave him strength. And finally got his first client and worked as an e-commerce VA.
- Realizing how convenient it is to work from home and earn good money at the same time, he decided to resign from the corporate world. But an employee as good as Marco, his office couldn’t let him go. He was given an offer to transfer to another unit with lesser demands Marco went for it, with the thought of paying his loan first before leaving the office. But the freelancing career is just too beneficial, and until finally, he decided to set off from the agency.
- February 2020, after a whole year of bittersweet moments, Marco is now a fulltime freelancer and has four projects.
- He also enrolled his wife in the VA Bootcamp Accelerated Course and taking turns with her looking after their kid. He now enjoys working at the comfort of his own home, and spending more time with his love ones.
- Marco believes that everything happens in God’s perfect timing.
Question and Answer
- Kailan mo nasabi sa sarili mo na pwede ka nang mag-resign sa corporate job mo?
May dalawang client na ako that time, kaso hindi pa rin ako agad nakaalis kasi gusto ko munang bayaran yung ni- loan ko, so tinapos ko muna.
- Hindi ka ba nahirapan, kasi kahit sabihin mong flexi time ‘yung freelancing mo, medyo demanding ‘yan?
Medyo stressful din siya pero hindi naman na ganun kabigat yung responsibility ko since na-transfer na ako ng division. So after 5 pm, wala ng tumatawag. Nakaka-focus na ako sa freelancing ko. Nagwo-work ng 8 to 10 or 8 to 11. May tulog pa naman kaso kulang.
- Anong masasabi mong naging advantage talaga sa’yo na iniwan mo yung corporate job?
Para sa akin kasi napakabigat yung oras sa pamilya. Kasi totoo pala na pag may family ka na, mag-iiba na ang focus mo. Sa buhay, iba na ang pananaw mo and it’s something very personal.
Nung nasa corporate ako, hindi ko natututukan yung bata, medyo mailap sa akin at ayaw ko siyang lumaki ng ganun. Ngayon may oras na akong makipaglaro sa kanya, palagi na siyang nakabuntot sa akin, nakakapag kwentuhan na rin kami ni misis. Tsaka since flexi time naman, pwede ko munang itigil yung work para lumabas for errands. Pagka-uwi, balik ako ulit sa work. Tapos yung sahod, nalampasan niya na yung income ko sa corporate kahit wala pang isang buwan.
Doon naman sa mga nagsasabi na hindi stable yung freelancing, kung kumikita ka naman ng mas malaki e hindi naman siguro kaagad na mauubos yun so meron kang maitatabi na medyo malaki. Kaya kapag nawalan ka ng client, meron kang naipon at may time ka ulit na maghanap.
- Dumating ka ba sa time na na-feel mo, nasabi mo sa sarili mong, “Teka lang, baka mali na pag-enroll ako dito, baka hindi para sa akin ’to?”
Na-frustrate din ako nung una, pero nakatulong yung success stories ng VA Bootcamp, so nalalampasan din siya. Maganda yung support system ng VAB Community at masasabi kong very rewarding din na nag-enroll ako dito. Para sa akin kasi may plano ang Diyos at hindi mo ito na-discover lang by accident, talagang gusto ni Lord ito para sa’yo.