The most common question I get about working from home is
“How can I get started doing that?”.
Most people think that they aren’t qualified to work from home. However, the truth is that almost everyone can work from home – and I mean that literally. Almost EVERYone.
You don’t need to have specific technical skills in order to start working from home. If you know how to use a computer (and I assume you do because you’re reading this blog post), you can definitely get started working from home.
There is a vast field of work opportunities online, ranging from the common clerical up to the unusual, fun ones.
Some examples are:
- Answer Surveys
- Copy and paste information from a document to websites
- Transcribe audio
- Provide feedback on recorded interviews
- Provide voice-overs for advertisements
- Sing songs (usually weird compositions)
- Test video games
- Be a human alarm clock
The possibilities are endless! Also, the beauty of the internet is that you have the freedom to choose the tasks that you want to do and just ignore the ones you won’t do for money. Talk about being your own boss!
As a beginner, however, you might have to start doing simple jobs that may not pay as much. But the important thing is TO GET STARTED and get a feel of working online. The $2 or $3 you earn doing some random task is infinitely higher than what you get out of checking Facebook, playing Clash of Clans, or watching the Big Bang Theory.
And once you get started earning something – anything, then we can talk about doing things that pay you more money that can potentially match or exceed your current full-time income.
Ready to get started? Great!
Let’s start by taking a look at what other people are offering to do online and create a list of ideas of what you can possible do based on that. Even if your idea sounds crazy or stupid,WRITE IT DOWN. Because most likely, that crazy idea is something someone would pay money for.
Here’s what I want you to do:
- Open up your favorite web browser and grab a paper and pen. Your favorite note-taking app works, too.
- Go on Fiverr.com and mouse over all the categories (to see the dropdowns) without clicking on anything yet.
- Open the different categories you find interesting on different tabs. These can be tasks that you can currently do or tasks that fascinate you EVEN if you DON’T have the required skills yet.
- Go through each of the category pages, just reading the different tasks people are offering.
- When you find something interesting, open it up on a separate page.
- Write down a short one liner of the task. Don’t get into detail, you can do that later.
- Do searches in Fiverr for random ideas that come to mind. Write all of them down (even if they’re not currently on Fiverr).
- Review your list and add details as you see fit.
Let’s call that list your “Money Making Tasks List” Just sit with that list for now. Take a break, maybe even a couple of days, and then revisit and refine that list. Now you know what you can do to earn money from home.
Jason is the founder and CEO of Work from Home Roadmap and VA Bootcamp. Aside from teaching Filipinos how to succeed working from home, he likes traveling, playing board games, and drinking coffee.