Subscribe to updates
Get updates of interviews and tips via email
We all have different reasons why we pursue freelancing.
Probably pagod ka na mag-commute (which is so tiring and toxic, especially nowadays).
Or it's as simple as gusto mo lang sa bahay kasama family mo while you're still earning.
For our JasSuccess guest tomorrow, it's different.
"Although we are very nice people and marunong kami makisama sa mga kasambahay, hindi talaga kami nakakatapat sa maayos na yaya.
Turning point nung umuwi ako once galing sa office at nalaman ko na yung anak ko (1 year old) ay iniwan lang sa kapitbahay. Tinakasan na kami after mag-advance ng 3 mos."
I can't imagine.
On top of that, the environment in her office is so stressful.
"Naging suki ako ng clinic, minsan nadala sa ER at nagsimula na magtake ng maintenance medicines."
Because of this, she decided to focus all her energy on freelancing.
Let's know more of Kristel — her ups and downs and how she went from frustration to fulfillment .
She'll reveal all these this on this replay.
Kristel, a mother of one and a former BPO employee chose the path of freelancing. She had lots of struggles like finding a nanny and balancing her work and personal life when she was working in a call center.
Find out what path Kristel took to find her "The One" in freelancing.
- The JAS Success of Miss Anna inspired me to become a freelancer. I started researching Jason. I followed his webinars, lessons, courses, and emails. I subscribed to all of it.
- I enrolled in the accelerated course and I studied it. I got a short-term and long-term projects.
- Never give up!
- Not all clients are in Upwork. Always give everything in every job proposal you send.
- I always choose people more than money. I value the people I work with.
- Be happy and be inspired to grow. You should not feel that you are dragging your body to go to work. You should see your happiness level!
- Less pressure for my husband since I can share in our monthly budget now.
- You will be motivated once you have bills to pay. So you should study, get in an interview and pass.
- For newbies if you want to be a freelancer, there are lots of free courses. Do not give up and always pray! Do not just study but apply all the lessons. Join in groups because maybe 'the one' you are waiting for is in one of the posts of your friends.
Journey to Freelancing
- It was on March 2017 when she resigned as a BPO employee because she had a mild stroke, her son got sick, and they were having a hard time to find the perfect nanny.
- Then on October 2017, she started her journey as a freelancer.
- She started researching and studying different courses and watching videos about freelancing on YouTube. She followed different Facebook groups while taking down notes.
- She thought her journey would be an easy one because she was a BPO employee with high position. She has the skills and the confidence but no one noticed her cover letters.
- She enrolled in the accelerated package of the VA Bootcamp and studied it. She got short-term projects and thought that if she did her best the company might give her a chance to work with them as a long-term employee but it did not happen.
- She got another job and this was referred to her by a friend. It was on December 21, 2019 when the company closed and she lost her job. They had a lonely Christmas and New Year that year.
- After being a silent reader again, she saw Miss Anna Soriano's job post and she gave her everything in applying. She was short-listed but unfortunately she was not selected.
- Eventually, she got the good news and she was hired by Miss Holly Ocaya.
- Her client provide her everything she needed such as laptop, internet service and even a comfortable office chair.
- This year, she did not expect that she is going to turn down 5 job offers since she don't have an extra time to work.
Questions & Answers
Is your income as a freelancer more than the salary in BPO?
Yes, the salary I got as a freelancer is more than the salary in BPO.
When you are working from home, do you still have time for your son? Household chores? Are you still happy or can you still manage your time?
I can manage my time and I can do all the things I need to do because if you like what you are doing, you can do it. I can be with my family 24/7 anytime we can. My son was never sick again when I started freelancing and I don’t need a nanny anymore.
Do you need the best laptop to start?
No, others work in a computer shop. The computer I got is old and we just build it. When I got the job, I upgraded one by one. You should invest in your device since you will use it for so long. It is a good motivation once you have bills to pay. You need to study and apply it. Make sure to get an interview and pass the interview.
Do you need to have a background or experience in BPO?
No, the experience in BPO will not guarantee that you will get a client that fast but if you have a passion, you can make it.