“para mabuo na kami family kasi 15 years din kami LDR relationship”
This stoked a fire in the heart of a full-time mom and led her to pursue freelancing despite all the challenges.
Hindi ma-approve ang Upwork profile, nasira ang laptop, walang client — you name it.
But her dream is BIGGER than her challenges.
So she continued and she now has “Top Rated” status.
And she’ll be sharing with us her secrets in making it happen.
So if you’re thinking of giving up…
Wondering if para sayo ba ang freelancing…
Ang dami mo ng sinubmit na proposals pero wala pa din…
Watch this replay to be inspired by her story.
Arlyn Maranan Datinguinoo is a full-time mom to two kids and a wife of an OFW. She chose to work as a freelancer to support and help her husband with finances and with the hope that soon her husband no longer needs to go abroad and be away from his family. She is also a full-time mom earning top-rated status after overcoming hurdles as a freelancer.
- Continuous learning parin. Hindi ako mag-iistop.
- I-reject ka ng i-reject hindi ko sya sinukuan. Sabi ko nga 15 years napag-labanan ko. Eto paba kya. Kakayanin. Para sa dream kakayanin at kayang-kaya.
- When challenges appear keep going. Laban lang.
- Go out of your comfort zone. Mag explore ka.
- I-challenge mo yung self mo. Try to learn something new. Malay mo andun pala yung ano yung superpower mo. Tapos, don’t give up.
- Kung gusto mong maging successful lalo na sa freelancing. Kailangan mo ng self-marketing eh. At saka promoting para makakuha ka ng clients. So, sa ganun kailangan mo ng patience.
- Kung magkamali ka okay lang yan. Part yan ng learning natin.
- Focus ka lang kung anong ginagawa mo. Focus on what you can and make it better.
- Continue learning tsaka discipline. Kailangan kailangan mo rin yang disiplinado ka sa sarili mo. Tsaka time management isa yan pag hindi mo alam kung paano mo i-handle yung oras.
- Believed in yourself that you can do it. Maniwala ka sa sarili mo.
- Make sure na consistent ka sa ginagawa mo.Wag mo syang susukuan.
- Kung ano man yung ginagawa mo give your 100%. Ibigay mo yung 100% mo sa ginagawa mo.
- The right time will come we’re all your efforts will pay off. And most importantly ano- love mo yung ginagawa mo. Gusto mo yung ginagawa mo.
- At higit sa lahat. Wag na wag mong kakalimutan yung mag pray kay God kasi sya yung mag ga-guide sayo eh.
Journey to Freelancing
- She is a mom of two kids and a wife to her loving husband.
- By that time she has two characters, being a mother and a father because her husband is an Overseas Filipino Worker. When her husband works abroad she shoulders everything except for finances.
- She and her husband have been in a Long Distance Relationship for 15 years.
- She started to learn about freelancing through Facebook. All she did was to study first by reading and watching all the free courses in VABootcamp. And then she decided to enroll in VABootcamp.
- She joined the Guided Hustle Challenge. It was not easy for her to apply for a job because her upwork account can’t be approved. That’s why she just used the Onlinejobsph, Hubstaff, and Linkedin.
- She thinks that even if she does everything, yet she can’t find clients. Full of rejections, sometimes ended in just an interview. She just keeps on thinking maybe it’s not the right time for her.
- She graduated in Guided Hustle Challenges, still her upwork is not approved. For a long time she tried to edit it and try again. Until it’s approved.
- Though her laptop was broken. She makes way by just buying a desktop.
- She joined Vab Admin as an intern in Feb 2020. She also applied as a FLIP moderator.
- She found her first client via OLJ as a content creator for infographics which she has learned from the FLIP internship.
- She then found her first full-time client with flexi hours; and another client from Linkedin.
- She received her Rising Talent badge in Upwork when she got her second client and then became a top-rated freelancer.
- In total, she has 3 clients now while she is working her new online business.
- Soon, her husband can go back home through her freelancing career.
Can you please tell us how you started to give hope to newbies? Also, I’m a full-time mom.
Before ako pumasok ng freelancing, ginawa ko muna yung pinaka dapat nag-aral muna ko. Nag enroll muna ko sa VABootcamp. Then may mapapanood ka dun na may courses tapos pag napanood mo sya magte-take ka ng action then after nun, mag email sayo si sir Jason. Sa email na yun, andun lahat yung links ng VABootcamp Courses. Yung mga questions sa mga newbies and then yung mga useful information ng mga blogs, mga success stories sa VAB. So, ang ginawa ko inopen ko lahat yung mga links na yun at binasa ko.
What made you decide to stick to freelancing?
Kasi may pangarap ako eh. Pangarap ko na matulungan yung asawa ko sa finances tapos gusto ko mabuo na kami family.
Do you have a niche, Ms. Arlyn?
Sa pag-iintern ko, dun ko nakuha kung ano yung niches na gusto ko.
Base sa mga pinasukan ko, intern lahat yun pasok sya dun sa Ecommerce.
So na enjoy ko sya hanggang sa nagustuhan ko sya.
How do you manage 3 clients?
May time ako tumulog. May time ako sa mga anak ko. After ako mag proceed sa work ko ng pag freelancing dapat yung mga anak ko ready to bed na para pag upo ko sa computer sa work ko focus nako. Yung lang talaga trabaho gagawin ko.
What package did you enroll?