Jasmine is happily working as an ESL teacher, but because of a noisy background, her classes were rated low. She needed to do something about it – and that didn't involve eliminating the source of the noise.
She invested in herself to learn several non-voice tasks that were definitely new to her. She wasn't that techie, so she pushed herself to learn the techie stuff to cope up with the demands of the tasks.
Learn her whole incredible story on how she became the freelancer she is right now.
In this interview, Jasmine will talk more about her freelancing journey, including:
✅How She Transitioned From A School/ESL Teacher to A Full-Time Freelancer
✅How She Turned Her Difficulties Into Opportunities
✅How She Persevered Learning Non-Voice Freelancer Work
And a whole lot more…
As she moved forward to today, Jasmine has been happily working at home and spending time with people who matter most. She also enjoys working with her team experiencing the cool perks and having a family online and offline. And be inspired by how Jasmine turned her difficulties into opportunities.
- I worked actually as a teacher for five years as a grade school and middle school tapos licensed ako in all. Tapos nung mga panahon na yun, I was also still in ESL teaching. So nauna yung ESL teaching.
- And then naging admin ako, teacher for grade school and middle school.
- The students actually really like me nung time na yun tapos actually very loyal pa yung mga students ko nun. “Parang oh, we like you kasi magaling kang teacher pero sana pag nag-u-usap tayo parang walang nag bu-butt na chicken.”
- Pursigido talaga ako na parang eliminate that chicken sound, pero talagang nagrereklamo na ako nun maski sa prayer meeting sinasabi ko, “Lord sana po pag may class ako, manahimik ng konti.” Tapos yung kamay ko, ang bilis bilis niyang magmute. Sobrang ang dami na talaga pero hindi talaga sya nagwork.
- Talagang wala, nothing talaga. Nagwagi yung manok. Gusto ko na siyang lutuin, but no, the chicken won over me.
- Sabi ko, sige kung hindi ako pwede for calls yung ganung klaseng trabaho, siguro it's time for me na magtry ng iba nman. Nonvoice, kasi wala talaga ako magawa eh, hirap na hirap ako hindi na available yung place eh. It pushed me forward.
- Sabi ko sa sarili ko, “If there's a will, there's a way”. Tapos sinabi ko din sa sarili ko na, binigyan ka ng ganitong sitwasyon. Life gives you a lemon, you just need to turn it into lemonade. This time, siguro, I could say na God give me chicken, then I turned it into dollars.
- I noticed na parang maganda na you immerse yourself with people na may parehong pag-i-isip. Yung discipline kasi malaki, mabigat pero if you given the right routine, magkakaroon ng sense of discipline. So parang, sige try ko to, tapos naencourage pa ako kasi nung time na yun nagFLI-FLIP na ako. Tapos sabi nila, the best investment is investing in yourself.
- What is the best way for you to learn quickly? Yun nakita ko na the best way to learn quickly is through a mentor. From there, I tried yung VA course and then I took it, tapos na excite ako nun, parang gusto ko lang ma change yung mindset ko kasi hindi nga ako entrepreneurial, so gusto ko yung ganun. Gusto ko may mga tao kang nakakausap na may encourage ka nila. Nakita ko yung benefits and very positive yung feedback. I did my research din kasi.
- Go beyond yung expected sayo.
- This is not the first time that I tried something na I really wanted, pero this is also one of those things na naniniwala ako na lahat ay nakukuha sa routine.
- Priceless para sa akin na, I get to spend time with my family and then I get to the things that I need to do. Kasi remote, I can bring my work anywhere.
- Naniniwala ako talaga, siguro kasi background ko teacher. Everything is learned. So, it’s a matter of understanding what you’re learning, doing something about what you learned.
- I don't have time, it's actually telling yourself that you don't have time for your dreams. Ganun kasi yun eh. If you always think na, “I don't have time, diko kaya wag na natin gawin” Of course, you will not have time and hindi mo kayang gawin kasi sinasabi mo sa sarili mo hindi mo kayang gawin.
- If it starts with you believing yourself, if it started in you being positive about the things that you want in your life go ahead, Go! Try mo. Pag in doubt, check, research, eh di magresearch ka tapos magtanong ka. Ako ganun ginawa ko. Nagresearch ako nagtanong ako. Wala akong time? Eh di ibig sabihin you’re not serious with what you really want.
- Naalala ko. Sabi nila, ang ultimate purpose ng isang tao ay ma-maximize kung ano yung gift na ibinigay sa kanila. And if you do not maximize that gift, you do not understand entirely what your purpose is.
Jasmine’s Journey to Freelancing:
- She is a licensed teacher.
- She worked as a teacher for five years as a grade school and middle school.
- That time, she was also still in ESL teaching.
- She like English and like giving inspiration to others.
- She is a part of a Catholic Charismatic Community.
- She like culture, she likes talking to others, giving some advice and helping them.
- She had Filipino students but she wants to venture and try foreign students.
- She had Korean, Brazilian and Japanese students.
- She started teaching kids then adult to CEOs and directors.
- She also taught Business English in different industries.
- From a teacher, she likes to try the admin side.
- And then she became an admin and at the same time a teacher for grade school and middle school.
- She worked 12 hours a day.
- She wants to save money, that’s why she is doing various jobs alternately.
- She worked as a QA staff in a Japanese Company and then she is teaching ESL teachers.
- She became an ESL coach.
- She teaches ESL works like sending emails and other admin works.
- But she is struggling with the noise of the chicken when teaching ESL to her students
- When she reached home she is very tired and still have many things to attend to.
- But her students like her, they are very loyal but only they want to eliminate the noise of the chicken.
- She tried many things to solve my problem just to give good quality lessons to her students especially the CEOs. They were very strict.
- She also tried to look for another place with no chicken sound.
- But it didn’t last long, the place was not available so she returned back home.
- Since the chicken has a sentimental value for her father, she cannot kill the chicken.
- Still, she is very positive.
- She tried again for another solution to eliminate the chicken sound.
- Her hand should be very fast in clicking the mute tab. And also checking the schedule when the chicken will make sounds and then block the sound.
- She tried all but still, it didn't work. She got frustrated.
- She discovered freelancing. She watched videos, inspirational and motivational talks on facebook.
- She made a separate Facebook account and she immersed herself with people with the same ideas. She added people like freelancers and VAs.
- Then she started communicating with them asking some ideas about freelancing.
- Then she saw the Work from Home Roadmap website, now VA Bootcamp.
- She got interested because she also saw the FLIP community or the Facebook page.
- She joined the group and read the first article, “The Pros and Cons of Working At Home.”
- That time she is still undecided because she is still an ESL teacher.
- But she needs to be serious. She gives herself the right routine and discipline.
- She was encouraged and start investing in herself. And her best way to learn quickly is through mentoring.
- She didn’t have enough money that time and for her, she cannot afford the fee.
- From there she tried first the Free VA Course and she feels excited to change her mindset. She wants people to talk to her and encourage her.
- She did research and she saw positive feedback that pushed her to enroll even without a budget.
- Eventually, she found a way for the tuition fee and learning continuously.
- She was overwhelmed. In a months time, she was already halfway through the VA course.
- She created a portfolio, she took down notes, and she applied what she learned from the course.
- She was very diligent, she also tried asking the coaches and give her encouragement.
- The first month, she finished the course, and half of the second month she was already sending proposals and talking to some clients and still continue reviewing the modules.
- The course is a big help. She followed and applied what she’ve learned and at the end of the second month, she got a client in Onlinejobs.ph.
- Her client was very friendly and what her client likes most about her are her attitude and character.
- She made a voice clip when sending a proposal.
- She really showed go beyond what is expected from her.
- She worked as a full-time freelancer in the second month.
- She has been happily working at home and spending time with people who matter most.
- She also enjoyed working with her team experiencing the cool perks and having a family online and offline.
Yung mga tinuturuan mo, hindi lang mga Pinoy so anong mga iba't-ibang lahi talaga yun?
Nagkaroon ako ng students na Korean. Nagkaroon din ako ng Brazilian students. Nagkaroon ako ng Japanese students. All of them mostly sa kanila parang nagsimula ako sa mga kids eh, pero nung tumagal naging adults na tapos naging CEOs, directors.
Parang napromote ka from ESL, parang nagtratrain kana naman ng iba maging ESL teachers?
Parang hindi siya ESL teaching, ESL work talaga sya kasi yung back support niya eh, back end na. So, tapos tinuturuan namin sila ng we're sending emails, may mga emails kaming ginagawa yung usual mong makikitang admin work.
Saan papasok yung chicken?
Papasok siya dun sa struggles ko. So, the struggles would be, the students that I had kasi nung mga time na yun nagturo ako, pero I decided na parang twelve hours kasi akong nagwowork nun. Tapos pag-uwi mo hindi pa enough tapos pagod ka tapos parang you needed din to attend dun sa pangangailangan.
Itong ESL work mo, hindi din sya online kasi nga pupunta ka dun sa office sa ESL na company, tama?
Parang ang nangyari nun ESL coach ako office, tapos parang sasabihin nila na para maintindihan mo din yung need ng students mo, mag take ka rin ng classes. So, before pa, three years cumulative na, may experience na talaga ako as a ELS teacher pero hindi talaga malakas ang loob ko gawin yun at home kasi iniisip ko baka hindi realistic, hindi workable ganyan. Tapos yun na nga, siguro its more of, hindi effective yung classroom environment kasi alam ko talaga marami kaming aso, may pamangkin akong umiiyak. maraming maingay tapos may chicken.
Kanino bang manok to, sa kapit bahay ba?
Ang manok na to ay alaga ng aking papa.
So ano na nangyari?
Sabi ko, sige kung hindi ako pwede for calls yung ganung klaseng trabaho, siguro it's time for me na magtry ng iba nman. Nonvoice
So panu mo na discover na pwede naman ang nonvoice?
Nung time na yun, sabi ko sa sarili ko, “If there's a will, there's a way”. Tapos sinabi ko din sa sarili ko na, binigyan ka ng ganitong sitwasyon. Life gives you a lemon, you just need to turn it into lemonade. This time, siguro, I could say na God give me chicken, then I turned it into dollars
Nadiscover mo nga si nonvoice, and then panung naglead ang way dun sa pagfrefreelancing?
So, talaga tumatak sa isipan ko yun nung time na yun kasi na na ako ng nonood na ako ng mga videos like inspirations and motivational sales in facebook. I noticed na parang maganda na you immerse yourself with people na may parehong pagiisip.
So ayun talaga yung ngpushed sayo para magenroll ka kahit walang buget, ginawan mo ng paraan? So eventually after enrolling, yun na nga nagkaroon tayo ng coaching session and all. Mabilis ba na nakakuha ka ng client?
Nung time na yun, nag-a-aral ako, so ang daming bago tapos parang nakakaoverwhelm on my part. In a months’ time, I was already half way the VA course, na excite akong mag create na agad ng portfolio.
So natapos mo na yung pagtake mo nung course, saka ka na gumawa?
Opo. Gumawa na ako ng proposal, talagang inayos ko na. First month natapos ko na siya, tapos halfway ng pa second month. I was already sending out proposals I was talking to the clients na pero nung time na yun, yung modules nirereview ko pa rin. Naging eye opener po sa akin yung how clients think, ang bilis lang pala, yung well thought off ka pero yung maliit na part na yun sa ginawa mong proposal ay dapat pala sinunod mo na yung pattern kung hindi turn off na kaagad yung client. Maliit lang eh pero ang laking bagay. Finallow ko lang siya tapos after at the end of the second month, nagkaroon na ako ng client sa onlinejobs.ph
So fulltime yun dun sa online jobs mo?
Opo fulltime siya.
So sobrang naging effective ito sayo, that’s why ito yung pdf file na ipapamigay mo sa kanila, tama ba?
Priceless para sa akin na, I get to spend time with my family and then I get to the things that I need to do. Kasi remote, I can bring my work anywhere.
Ano bang mabibigay mong tips lalo na sa mga newbies na nanonood?
Naniniwala ako talaga, siguro kasi background ko teacher. Everything is learned. So, it’s a matter of understanding what you’re learning, doing something about what you learned.
Jason is the founder and CEO of Work from Home Roadmap and VA Bootcamp. Aside from teaching Filipinos how to succeed working from home, he likes traveling, playing board games, and drinking coffee.