Kaya bang kitain ang 80K per month kahit nasa Pinas ka lang?
The year was 2017. It had been 9 months since Martin left his job. Like any young man dreaming of providing a good life for his future family, Martin worked hard but he didin’t find what he was looking for in his previous job. So he resigned.
While many Filipinos dream of working abroad to earn high income, Martin didn’t really consider it an option. The pay may be good but the application process is costly and risky. Besides, he wanted to have a job that will allow him to stay with his family and give them the attention that they need.
Those 9 months that he was unemployed, he upgraded his skills and started looking for online opportunities.
One day he came across this advertisement which directed him to a free course, and it got him intrigued:
“I earn 80k/month working 5 hours per day from home.”
That’s what the ads said. (Sounds familiar?)
So he bookmarked the page and continued his quest. Eventually he got hired as an email customer service rep in a BPO company, but after more than a year with them, he quit the job and became a full time online freelancer.
*His BPO job allowed him to earn enough income without going abroad – what made him decide to take his chance in the freelancing world?
*He was already a regular employee – why would he take the risk of having an “unstable” freelancing career?
*He was already skilled and he knew how to follow Youtube tutorials – why did he choose to invest in the VA Bootcamp course and what did he get out of it?
Watch his story on this replay.
Watch the whole video as Martin Tolentino an e-commerce VA, explains why he took risk on quitting His stable BPO Job with Google-like environment.
Listen as he teaches us How to research and filter the noise, what are the shortcuts on finding online jobs, where can you find proper guidance and specific information, and Why “How po/” is not adviced as a question to learn freelancing.
- I decided magpahinga muna sa pag apply apply na yun. Maghanap ako ng alternative na opportunities since IT graduate then naman ako. I have some technical skills lalo na sa web design and development kasi yun yung hobby ko.
- After graduation ng college nag research ako tungkol sa web design and development and other stuff related. Research lang wala po akong ibang ginagawa. Hindi rin ako nag-aapply.
- Since nagsesearch ako ng freelancin-, yung ad ni Sir Jason nag pop-up sa news feed, due to my curiosity clinick ko yung ad napunta ako doon sa website ni Sir Jason and then as part of my research clinick ko lahat ng links doon to verify kung legit nga ba yung ganoong klaseng offer.
- I joined fb groups and nuod-noud pa ng iba-ibang videos and then doon nabuo ang idea ko about freelancing.
- Magtatake ako ng risk para maexplore yung freelancing. I set up a plan para magswitch sa freelancing industry. And after few months nag resign na talaga para mag focus sa freelancing at mga study ko.
- Ayoko pang pumunta ng abroad gusto ko dito lang. Para pag may Family na ako, dito lang ako sa tabi nila.
- Hindi ko kinonsider yung pagpunta ng abroad, nagfocus ako sa skills ko and yung opportunity sa freelancing.
- I have list yung mga possible skill, list na gusto ko or pwede kung i-offer sa mga clients. considering na may technical skills ako. With the help of AIDA sa VABootcamp module, nakuha ko po yung job. Yung pagiging E-Commerce Customer Service.
- Sa freelancing journey ko po ang naging trial and error ko is yung skills na i-offer ko.
- May advice din po ako sa mga how po kasi if you asked how po. There are 3 things na pwedeng mangyari sa question nyo.Number 1, maooverwhelmed po kayo kasi ibibigay namin lahat ng links na alam namin regarding freelancing. Number 2, mauunderwhelmed kayo kasi links lang yung ibibigay namin and you will do the readings kasi and hindi niyo alam kung ano ang uunahin and then number 3, mai-ignore yung questions niyo kasi madami yung nag-aask and hindi namin alam kung ano yung ibibigay na information.
- There are a lot of opportunities. You just have to research and open your mind for possibilities.
- Looking forward lang po sa future, actually hindi ko din masyado iniisip yun but ,looking forward lang ako sa future. Anong mangyari doon, anong mga possible problems na mangyari, so ginagawa ko na siya ngayon pa lang and, then research. Walang humpay na research.
Martin Tolentino’s Journey to Freelancing
- A graduate of IT and in 2017 landed his first job in a BPO in Tarlac, as E-Commerce Customer Service. There he is paid 10,000 pesos per month and has a 6month contract cycle. The low pay and cycle of apply-reapply every 6 months for the same job made him feel frustrated.
- Decided to stop applying and find an alternative opportunity. Since he is an IT graduate, he focused his research on web design and development. A hobby he pursued after graduation.
- Due to curiosity, he clicked the adds from Mr. Jason Dulay. And as part of the research, he checked the VABootcamp course to verify if the offer is legitimate. He joined Facebook groups and watched different videos. Right there he decided to embark on his freelancing journey.
- After 9 months, he applied and got accepted into a BPO company in Pampanga, where he works like an e-commerce customer service. During that stay in the said BPO company he got a higher pay around 15000 and above. A company where he enjoys his job.
- As time goes on, Martin Realized that he already is 25 years old, after 5 years he will be 30 years old, And he is looking forward to having a Family. He thought that 15k is good, but not good enough if you are planning to sustain a family.
- Went back to his research items and found individuals with higher rates. And since he has a skill in web design, he looked into the possibility of shifting to work online.
- While he was in BPO he was able to save. And he Invested in The VABootcamp accelerated. When he was 25 years old, Martin considered taking a risk to leave the BPO company a company with Google-like culture.. Martin set up a plan to switch to the freelancing industry. And after a few months, Martin decided to resign and focus on freelancing.
- After he quit his job he was encouraged by his family to work abroad. He has not considered that suggestion. Thinking that, at the time when he has his own family, He will always be their side. He also reflected upon the major expenses of preparing documents, getting a loan just to go abroad, and at the end of the day, you will not know what fate will bring you, when you get there.
- He now can focus on the lessons. Listed the possible skills he can use to offer his clients and did it trial and error method. He went to scroll on a platform found a Job offer in E-commerce customer service, a job which is exactly the same as his experience in the BPO, and with the help of AIDA in the VABootcamp module, He landed a job.
Q and A Highlights
Was it not that risky for you to quit everything, drop everything because you have not started yet?
Yes, I consider it as risky kasi ang ganda nang BPO company na pinasukan ko, and para sa akin yung environment macocompare mo sa offices ng Google so maganda and regular na rin ako doon kaya risky talaga.
What happened to your Freelancing journey?
Noong nag resign po ako sa BPO balik ulit ako sa research and nag focus ako sa WordPress. nagququote po ako and nag-uupload ako ng mga sample website. Since, enrolled ako sa VABootcamp naka focus ako and nerievew ko yung mga skills, lessons and techniques kasi wala na akong work.
What are the errors that you learned from Freelancing?
Sa freelancing journey ko po, yung trial and error ko is yung skills na ioffer ko. I have technical skills, I understand user interfaces po ako madali ko lang yung matutunan ang mga other software environments. Yun po yung problem ko in the past.
What is your Niche and how you be able to determine your niche?
E-commerce Customer Service po ako ngayon same sa work ko sa BPO dati. Meron ding module sa VABootcamp na E-Commerce and i was able to focus my skills and develop it.
How were you able to filter all the skills you have in Freelancing?
I have created a board. Bumili ako ng paper, pinost ko sa wall ko. Nilista ko lahat ng pwede kung ioffer na skills at ma enhance.
How did you come up with the idea of listing your skills and posting it in your wall?
Sa part na rin ng research ko, may nakikita ako randomly and due to curiosity. Doon po nang galing.
What will you advice to those who do not have ideas and skills that wanted to be a freelancer?
Filtering of research. Sa mga newbies, meron po tayong groups, post, blogs, keywords like Freelancing work at home.Research sa google like Top 20 websites to work from home and Top skills to Offer. Yung mga top information doon, you can get some information na pwede nyong maobserve. Yun na po yung basic knowledge nyo. Kung hindi nyo po alam yung process sa Upwork or Onlinejobs.ph mag post po kayo doon sa groups, meron po yung sasagot sa tanong nyo at tutulong.
What can you say about your own experience on freelancing? Can it still be penetrated by Newbies since all jobs need experienced?
You can create ng sarili nyong experience. Hindi ibig sabihan na wala kang client is wala kang experience. Research about certain topics, may mga webinars si Sir Jason pwede nyong iabsorb.
How do you keep yourself motivated?
Nanonood po ako ng mga youtube videos about motivations and financial topics. Inaabsorb and pinafollow ko sila and nererelate ko sila sa situation ko.
Did it help your career in enrolling in VABootcamp?
Yes. kung hindi po ako nag enrol, like yung mga tips and best practices, mareresearch mo talaga siya through google and blogs, pero makikita mo ba siya? Do you have the courage to do deep research? Kapag mag- enrol ka sa VABootcamp and paid courses, nakaipon na lahat siya. Hindi mo na kailangan na mag spend ng more hours just to research.
What can you advice to those not so tech savvy mothers to push for freelancing?
For none tech savvy , meron po yung skills na hindi kailangan ng tech savvy. Sa mga task na kailangan ng tech savvy, meron namang mga tutorials sa VABootcamp, Freelancing Groups, yung iba furnished na and aspecific talaga. Magconnect din po kayo sa iba’t ibang person para mag ask ng questions. Remember po na maging specific po sa skills na gusto nyong itanong.
Do you advice on people the way you have done in things?
Depende po yung attitude kasi iba iba tayo ng attitude. Take time to research and mag isip kung ano yung situation at paano mareresolve yung problema. Plan for alternatives.